These are the questions I am asked the most, if by chance that I do not cover the question you have here just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave me a comment, or leave it on my facebook page, the link is on the main page. Please make sure I don’t have the answer to your question here first before asking me personally. Thanks. 🙂
1. Can you use all butter to make buttercream, instead of shortening?
– I find that this is a huge concern for a lot of people and the answer is yes, you can! 🙂 However, the color of your buttercream isn’t going to be as white as it would be with the shortening. The shortening also make your buttercream smoother and more stable.
2. Is corn syrup required to make buttercream?
– No it is not, you can just use milk or cream to thin out the buttercream to the consistency that you like, however the corn syrup makes the buttercream more “elastic” for making designs like drop strings.
3. Do I have to use vinegar for the vanilla cake with butter?
– No, it is not required, you can use a little bit of lemon juice in place of it or buttermilk instead. The acid really gives the cake a really tender crumb and that is why I really love the recipe. Although you do not have to use it at all, I personally haven’t tried it so I can’t tell you what the texture will be like.
4. How much buttercream does the recipe make?
– For me it is usually more then enough to frost, fill, and decorate a nine inch cake.
5. I followed the recipe exactly for the yellow cake with shortening and the cake fell, why or what did I do wrong?
– I did not come up with this recipe I got it from Serious Cakes and she says that with this recipe the cake always falls a little bit. Which is not really a bad thing just means less cake you have to trim off when leveling. 🙂